Quinn Hall was acquired with the purchase of the James J. Maguire’58 Campus. Constructed in 1908, the building was originally home to noted art collector and philanthropist Dr. Albert C. Barnes. It is dedicated in honor of the late Hank Quinn’56, a former University Trustee and Shield of Loyola recipient. Upon his passing in 2007, Mr. Quinn’s estate fulfilled a significant pledge in support of the purchase of the Maguire Campus. Quinn Hall currently serves as home of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, bringing those offices back to campus for the first time in over 15 years.
The house was built in 1908 for Dr. Albert C. Barnes and named "Lauraston" for his wife, Laura Leggett Barnes. It was located on land owned in 1880 by H.K. Dillard. The original parcel of land included two and three-quarter acres on Rose Hill Road (later Latches Lane) purchased for $30,600 on Jan 16, 1905 from Deborah
Cresswell, whose family owned an iron foundry.
The architect, Lawrence Visscher Boyd (1875-1941), is best known for the design (with his brother, David Knickerbacker Boyd) of scores of homes in the Pelham and Overbrook Farms sections of Philadelphia as well as the Childs-Drexel development of St. Davids and Wayne.
Dr. Barnes, whose quick success in the pharmaceutical business prompted the construction project and a move from a rented house in Overbrook, had an extraordinary impact on the region. In 1910, he bought a house and large tract across from Lauraston. He remodeled the house and constructed four others on the site to ensure the architectural integrity of the street on which he lived. It is said that Laura Barnes often recalled the great pleasure she derived from the building project and particularly the landscaping of the grounds.
Apparently, Albert Barnes's interest in art began at the same time he and Laura built their home. One of his first major art purchases was a Corot landscape for Lauraston. Much of the art he collected during that period was delivered from the artists’ studios in Europe to Lauraston, and much of it hung in the house before the museum was completed. They lived at Lauraston until the Barnes Foundation and adjoining residence were completed in 1921-22.
Later owners of the property include the Robinson family and the Pizor family, who sold it to Episcopal Academy for $87,000 in 1960.
The house is included on the Lower Merion Historical Register.
394 North Latches Lane, Merion Station, PA 19066