We Are Called.
So often, the
alumni of SJU are reminded of this appeal to serve as continual
companions on a journey in celebration of their alma mater. Many of them
answer, sharing not only treasure but time and talent. Each year, alumni contribute countless hours supporting SJU through
recruiting, fundraising and networking across the country. Through
service and affinity chapter awards, the SJU Alumni Association and its
professional affinity groups recognize outstanding alumni for their
commitment to the University.
- The Shield of Loyola, the most prestigious honor awarded by the University, is presented annually to a distinguished alumnus or alumna who has had remarkable success in his or her profession, whose life reflects the values of St. Ignatius Loyola, and who has demonstrated unparalleled loyalty to Saint Joseph’s University.
- The Reverend Joseph S. Hogan, S.J. Award is fittingly presented in his name to an individual for “the exemplification of Christian principles and outstanding loyal service to Saint Joseph’s University.”
- The Ignatius Award, established in 1991, recognizes a graduate from within the past 20 years who has devoted efforts in the service and promotion of Saint Joseph’s University and/or has lived a life of “service to others” consistent with the principles of Saint Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuit order.
- Inaugurated in 2016, the Alumni Professional Achievement Award honors those alumni whose achievement from any professional field has brought distinction to themselves, credit to Saint Joseph’s University and benefit to their communities.
Affinity Chapter Awards
Medical Alumni Awards
- The Reverend Clarence E. Shaffrey, S.J. Award is named in honor of a
former SJU professor and mentor. This award is presented in recognition
of service and outstanding achievement in the medical profession.
- The Edward C. Bradley, S.J., M.D. ’51 Medical Alumni Award is named in honor of a highly respected physician and past recipient of The Reverend Clarence E. Shaffrey, S.J. Award. This award, founded in 2008, honors an alumnus or alumna in recognition of his or her loyalty and dedication to the mission of Saint Joseph’s through outstanding service to others, scholarship or research.
Law Alumni Awards
- The Honorable Francis X. McClanaghan ’27 Award recognizes an alumnus in honor of his accomplishments in the field of law, as well as the pride and distinction he has brought to SJU throughout a distinguished career.
- The GEM Award is given annually to a Saint Joseph's graduate who displays great loyalty to the University while focusing his or her career on helping others.
Real Estate & Construction Alumni Award
- The Timothy R. Lannon, S.J. Leader of the Year Award is presented to a leader in the field of real estate/construction who has demonstrated either a lifetime of remarkable success or accomplishments or a project of renown. The recipient has also shown outstanding loyal dedication and service to Saint Joseph's University.
For more information about Saint Joseph’s Alumni Service Awards or to
nominate an individual, contact the Office of University Advancement at
610-660-2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.